Bridges of Cleveland and Cuyahoga County, 1918
BUILDERS OF THE NEW HIGH LEVEL BRIDGE
By W. A. Stinchcomb
Many men joined hands in the work of planning and completing the new Detroit-Superior high level bridge. Among the county engineers who had to do with the work were A.B. Lea, Frank R. Lander and W.A. Stinchcomb. Their assistants were A.M. Felgate and A.W. Zesiger. Most of the actual work of construction has been supervised by County Engineer W.A. Stinchcomb.
Among the county commissioners who held office during the time the bridge was under way, were Wm. F. Eirick, John G. Fischer, Harry L. Vail, Frank T. Andrews, Joseph Menning, P.D. Metzger and J.T. Kelly.
There were a number of contractors on the big work. The O’Rourke Engineering Co. of New York built the foundations for the two main river piers, their contract calling for an expenditure of $209,908. The Great Lakes Dredge & Dock Co. of Cleveland placed the foundation for piers for the concrete arches at a cost of $512,550.
The Hunkin-Conkey Construction Co. of Cleveland had the main contract for the concrete superstructure, calling for an expenditure of $1,047,117. The King Bridge Co. of Cleveland built great steel central span at a cost of $646,747. Bates & Rogers of Chicago, built the subway approaches at a cost of about $800,000.
The Trinidad Paving Co. laid the pavements and The Ohio Cut Stone Co. furnished the limestone balustrades. Several other contractors cared for the lighting, heating, plumbing, etc.
City Engineer Robert Hoffman had charge of the arrangements for the removal of pipe and wire obstructions, and otherwise conforming the work to the necessities of local traffic.
|NEXT CHAPTER||PREVIOUS CHAPTER||TABLE OF CONTENTS|