The Cleveland Cultural Gardens Collection
A joint venture of the Cleveland State University Library and the Cleveland Public Library
The Cleveland Cultural Gardens, extending along East Blvd. and Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. in Cleveland's University Circle area, is a unique collection of landscaped, themed gardens each representing a different ethnic group/organization in Cleveland. Begun in 1916, sixteen gardens had been dedicated by the 1930's. Now numbering 33 and continuing to grow, they represent many of the cultural backgrounds of Cleveland's diverse population.
The Cleveland Cultural Gardens Collection is a collaborative digital project between the Michael Schwartz Library at Cleveland State University, the Cleveland Public Library, and the City of Cleveland. Here hundreds of black and white photographs and maps from the Cleveland Press Photograph Collection at Cleveland State University, the Photograph Collection at Cleveland Public Library, and the City of Cleveland archives have been digitized, cataloged and indexed in Cleveland Memory to provide a historical pictorial perspective of the gardens from the early to mid part of the 20th century. This collection contains images from nearly all of the gardens.
Select a Garden
- Browse all gardens
- Construction Photos
- American Legion Cultural Garden
- British (Shakespeare) Cultural Garden
- Czech (Bohemian) Cultural Garden
- Estonian Cultural Garden
- German Cultural Garden
- Greek Cultural Garden
- Hebrew Cultural Garden
- Hungarian Cultural Garden
- Irish Cultural Garden
- Italian Cultural Garden
- Lithuanian Cultural Garden
- Polish Cultural Garden
- Rusin Cultural Garden
- Serbian (formerly Yugoslav) Cultural Garden
- Slovak Cultural Garden
- Sloveninan Cultural Garden
- Ukranian Cultural Garden
For Further Study ...
- Virtual Tour of the Cultural Gardens: Be sure to download the free Cleveland Historical App to take the tour.
- The Sculpture Center’s Ohio Outdoor Sculpture coverage of the Cultural Gardens
- Their Paths Are Peace: the Story of Cleveland's Cultural Gardens by Clara Lederer (A Cleveland Memory eBook)
- The Cleveland Cultural Gardens from the Department of History at Cleveland State University
Consult the Encyclopedia of Cleveland History and the Cleveland Cultural Foundation Federation for up-to-date information. see also: