Made in Cleveland
A pathfinder to Cleveland Memory web exhibits and eBooks as well as archival collections that explore the manufacturing sector in Cleveland and northeast Ohio.
- The Browning Engineering Co.: Designers and Builders of Locomotive Cranes - Photos of a variety of the company's locomotive cranes, showcasing their use during early twentieth-century building projects, including the construction of the Panama Canal. The collection also features the company's early patents, dating from 1905 and 1908.
- ASM International - Photos selected from the ASM International archives that span much of its 100-year history.
- Clark Cable Corporation - 61 photos offering a look into the growth and transformation of this Cleveland automotive accessories manufacturer.
- Cleveland Breweries Remembered - Documents the history of the Cleveland brewing industry through the 19th and 20th centuries. A part of Feeding Cleveland.
- Industrial Rayon Coporation: Celebrating a Special Workplace - Photographs and newspaper articles chronicling this manufacturer of rayon yarn, the world's first synthetic fiber.
- Parrish and Bingham Company - Founded in 1894 as a trolley and bicycle frame manufacturer, the Parrish and Bingham Co. quickly grew to become an important part of Cleveland's expanding industrial economy.
- Patterson-Sargent Paint Company - Although not founded in Cleveland, the Patterson-Sargent Paint Company, manufacturer of BPS paints, was headquartered here for many years.
- State Chemical Manufacturing Co. and Patterson-Sargent Paint Company - Founded in 1911, the State Chemical Manufacturing Co. has been producing industrial cleaning products as part of Cleveland's industrial landscape for over a century.
- Also of Interest:
- The Great Lakes Exposition (1937 & 1937)- Many Cleveland/Northeast Ohio industries were represented at this centennial celebration of the corporation of the city of Cleveland.
- Great Lakes Industrial History Center - A collection of digital resources highlighting the history and development of the Great Lakes as a vital transportation network and an important component in the production and shipping of much of North America's industrial output.
- Railroad History Holdings in Cleveland Memory - A pathfinder to our railroad history collections and digital resources.
- Cleveland: An Inventory of Historic Engineering and Industrial Site / edited by Daniel M. Bluestone, 1970
Includes chapters on iron and steel, automobile, machine tool, textile, electrical, and oil, chemical, paint and varnish manufacture in Cleveland.
- Cleveland the Cradle of Invention / Chaper 7 of Cleveland's Golden Story by James Wallen
Cleveland : MSL Academic Endeavors, 1920
*At the Michael Schwartz Library, Special Collections Cleveland State University.