German Americans of Cleveland
Hospitals & Medical Centers
Click on to see images from the Collection.
Click on to read a Cleveland Press article.
Many other agencies were founded as a result of German initiative and hospitals were no exception. Many of these hospitals have religious affiliations:
- Fairview General Hospital
Now a part of Cleveland Clinic Health System, Fairview General Hospital was founded in 1892 by a group of ministers and laymen of the Reformed church and was originally known as the Society for the Christian Care of the Sick & Needy, then as the German Hospital.
- Lutheran Hospital
Founded by the Evangelical Lutheran Hospital Association in 1896 and originally located in a private residence at Fulton and W. 29th St. that rented for $42/month, Lutheran Hospital admitted 25 patients in its first year. Now located in Ohio City, Lutheran Hospital, which became a part of the Cleveland Clinic Health system in 1997, is a 204-bed acute care facility.
- Deaconess Hospital
Established by the Evangelical Deaconess Society in 1914, Deaconess Hospital can still be found at its original location on Pearl Road, continuing to serve the "Old Brooklyn" community.
- St. Michael (formerly St. Alexis) & St. John Hospitals
St. Alexis and St. John were founded by two German Franciscan sisters on July 16, 1884 and on May 15, 1892 respectively.