Hungarian Americans of Cleveland
Cleveland Press Articles
St. Elizabeth's Anniversary
Cleveland Press, Dec 13 1942
The great emigration of Hungarians from the old empire of Austria-Hungary was well under way when St. Elizabeth's parish was organized on Dec. 11, 1892, in the then rather sparsely settled Buckeye road section.
It was the first Hungarian Catholic church in the country, and now is the largest. Many of the original parishioners are now gone, but their descendants are found today on our many battle fronts or contributing to the ear efforts at home, as loyal Americans.
It was remarkable that St. Elizabeth's has had but two pastors in its 50 years history. The founder of the parish was the beloved Monsignor Charles Boehm. The present pastor is Monsignor Emory A. Tanos. The golden anniversary will be celebrated tomorrow and The Press joins in the congratulations which are being extended on the happy occasion. s. His part-time, assistant pastor is Father Richard Orley.