Hungarian Americans of Cleveland
Cleveland Press Articles
Hungarian Group Marks Its 60th Year Sunday
The Cleveland Press, MAY 18 1951
The Hungarian Young Men's and Ladies' Society, which long ago graduated from the "young" to the grandfather rank among Cleveland's nationality groups, will celebrate its 60th anniversary at 1 p.m. Sunday with a special program at the society's hall, 11213 Buckeye Rd.
Three ministers will share the speakers' spotlight. These are Rev. Stephen Csuturos, pastor of the Fist Hungarian Presbyterian Chruch; Rev. Andor Leffler, pastor of the First Hungarian Lutheran Church; and Rev. Stephen Szabo, pastor of First Hungarian Reformed Church.
They will outline responsibilities of the society in the city's community life. Governor Lausche, Mayor Burke, and Judge Louis Petrash also are scheduled to speak.
The Hungarian Young Men's and Ladies Society is the oldest Hungarian group in the city. It was organized during the first great wave of Hungarian immigration to Cleveland, to help speed the adjustment of the new arrivals to American life.
Death and sick benefits were made available to members, and classes in English were sponsored for years. Under the leadership of Tihamer Kohnayi, Henrick Baracs and Imre Fecso, the Hungarian daily newspaper, Szabadsag, was founded, with Kohanyi as first publisher and editor.
The society's membership now numbers some 4000. Current president is Frank Balogh.