Hungarian Americans of Cleveland
Cleveland Press Articles
St. Emeric Church at 1860 W 22nd St. will celebrate its 75th anniversary
Cleveland Press, Oct 20 1979
St. Emeric Church at 1860 W 22nd St. will celebrate its 75th anniversary on Oct. 28 with Bishop James Hickey of the Cleveland Diocese officiating at 4 p.m. religious service.
Rev. Francis A. Karpi, pastor since 1965, will be toastmaster of the diamond jubilee banquet to following in the church hall. Hungarian scouts will entertain with folk dances.
Father Karpi has written the history of the church which has its origins when seven Hungarians, speaking for 162 families and 432 single persons made a $50 down payment on property on 6082 Hicks Street, later W 24th St.
"The wooden frame church was destroyed by fire in 1915," he writes. "Parishioners then purchased Annunciation Church known as the old French church, a few blocks away.
"The bell from this church hangs in our belfry. It was cast in West Troy, N.Y., in 1871 and has a French inscription.
"Our parish is historically linked to the Terminal Tower because the Van Sweringens purchased our second property to clear the land for railway tracks that led into the depot."
The result of the transaction was that the present church and school building was constructed in 1925. The church was renovated in 1973. It was visited by Cardinal Jozsef Mindszenty in 1974. In addition to being a church for Hungarians, it also serves others in the community.