Hungarian Americans of Cleveland
Cleveland Press Articles
St. Margaret of Hungary Holds Fete to Celebrate Golden Jubilee
By ELEANOR PRECH
Cleveland Press, Apr. 15, 1970
When St. Margaret of Hungary Church celebrates its golden jubilee on Sunday, six women who had a hand in organizing the church will be among those present. Mrs. Peter Marton, Mrs. Joseph Csider, Mrs. Emery Kocsis, Mrs. John Juhasz, Mrs. Stephen Stiber and Mrs. Theresa Miller are among the pioneers who met in old Muhic Hall, E. 120th St. and Buckeye Rd., to organize a benefit lodge with the ultimate end of founding a church in that area.
Nine lots were purchased in 1918 on a plot of farm land which became the site of the present church at 2927 E. 116th St.
All of this history will recalled at the jubilee banquet at 1:30 p.m. Sunday. It will be first event in the refurbished hall which was the work of parishioners. The celebration also will mark the 60th anniversary of Msgr. Andrew Koller, pastor emeritus of the church, and the 700th anniversary of the death of the patron saint, St. Margaret of Hungary.
Auxiliary Bishop William M. Cosgrove of the Catholic diocese, Rev. Fr. Desider Hoffman, pastor, and Rev. Fr. Augustine Yurko, OSB, will offer a concelebrated mass at noon. Rev. Fr. Francis A. Karpi, pastor of St. Emeric's Church, will give the Hungarian sermon. Frank J. Pitcavage is general chairman of the banquet. John Jaksa will speak for the parish. Rev. Fr. Aloysius J. Bartko of Akron and Rev. Fr. Zoltan Demko of Lorain are others on the program.
St. Margaret's men's choir will sing. Solists (sic) include John Gulya and Mrs. Benz- Kato. John Tepfenhart and Monica Kellner will give recitations.
Sam S. Svaoca and John Kozsey edited a 68-page booklet about the history of the church.